Aromatherapy and Reflexology in Pregnancy – what are the benefits?
Well actually there are SO many benefits that it would be really difficult to list them all here – but lets go for the most obvious ones:
- Reflexology can be used as a pre-pregnancy treatment (Reproductive reflexology) to enhance your natural fertility
- In pregnancy having your feet pampered in a reflexology treatment can be bliss – inducing deep relaxation and reducing stress.
In labour reflexology can:
- Help you get into labour in the first place!
- Regulate contractions if they are a bit “hit and miss”
- Help reduce pain by utilising recognised pressure points
- Relaxation – aaaahhhhhhhhh……. Just the beautiful smell of essential oils can be enough to change an atmosphere. There is something so special about walking into a birth room – at home or in a midwife led unit to smell a delicate blend that is being used to relax the mum and encourage her oxytocin to thrive. As an added bonus it has the same effect on the birth partner, midwives and doulas 🙂
- Re-energising the mother with refreshing oils
- Specific oils can helping a labouring mum to overcome nausea
But don’t leave aromatherapy til labour it is a wonderful treatment to receive whilst pregnant, as it encourages the body to work at it’s best during this important time.
Sandra Oram is based in Stratford upon Avon and is a member of the Warwickshire Pregnancy and Birth Network. She has been helping couples throughout their pregnancy journeys for almost 25 years and is bringing her phenomenal knowledge and experience to our Pregnancy fair where she will be offering £10 off any treatment booked that day.